What You Should Know If You Have Been Involved In A Car Accident In Fairbanks, AK
One of the most stressful aspects of living in modern life is dealing with a car accident. Auto accidents are even more common in a place that has long winters and frequent icy roads. Doesn’t that sound like Fairbanks? Were you also aware that some auto accident injuries are hidden and are seldom detected for months or even years? Traumas, even ones that seem minor, can set a person up for a future of discomfort and decreased quality of life. If you have been involved in a car accident in Fairbanks, AK, call us for an evaluation before you even think about settling your claim. Chiropractic care at Spaulding Chiropractic Clinic can have a tremendous impact on your future quality of life!
Why? Because once you settle your case, you lose the right to have your insurance company pay for treatment if you need it. Be informed of your rights and then make a decision. Get the care you need to get you back to the way you felt and functioned just before the accident.
Here’s where the problem begins… Most people who suffer from an auto accident have one thing on their mind: their automobile!
Common questions include:
- “Who is going to fix my car?”
- “What will I drive in the mean time?”
- “Will my insurance rates go up?”
- “Who is going to pay for it?”
- And the last thing on their mind is: “Am I Really O.K.?”
Auto accidents are an inconvenience, and a common complaint of car accident victims is that they don’t feel like their normal selves. You may also be experiencing obvious pains and symptoms like muscle stiffness or spasm, neck pain, headaches, numbness and tingling, back pain, difficulty sleeping, irritability, memory loss, fatigue, difficulty concentrating and many other difficulties. Worse than that, you may be injured and feel nothing at all.
Did you know that auto accidents can cause post-traumatic osteoarthritis? Osteoarthritis (aka degeneration) can cause you to stiffen up and suffer from chronic pain, often years after the car accident. This occurs because scar tissue forms in the injured area (often your neck) leading to chronic stiffness and the inability to move properly. Poor motion over time leads to pain and decreased quality of life, leaving you with the inability to do the things you want to do as you get older. A car accident in Fairbanks, AK, can be particularly harmful to us due to the icy roads. Icy roads often lead to higher collision speeds and more soft tissue damage.
Things To Understand If You Have Been Involved In A Car Accident in Fairbanks, AK
- Most Doctors are not trained in the detection of hidden soft tissue injuries.
- If you have been in an auto accident, you need a doctor who is trained in the biomechanics of the human body; someone who treats these injuries every day. In addition,x-rays can be taken to find out if there has been any structural damage. In our office, we evaluate auto accident victims and make any appropriate referrals to other health care providers if needed.
- At Spaulding Chiropractic Clinic, we give you the care you need, and submit the required medical reports to the insurance company so your rights are protected.If you have been in an auto accident in Fairbanks, AK, there are some important questions you may need answers to:
- Q: Should I See An Attorney Before I See My Chiropractor?
A: It is important to get checked out by the doctor first. That way the findings from your exam will allow you the information you need in order to decide if an attorney is necessary.
- Q: What If My Car Sustained Only Minor Damage?
A: Documented studies done by Charles Carroll, M.D., Paul McAtee, M.D. and Lee Riley, M.D. revealed that: “The amount of damage to the automobile bears little relation to the force applied to the cervical spine (neck) of the occupants.”In other words, the damage to the passengers is not necessarily directly related to the damage to the vehicle.
- Q: If I Need Treatment For This Injury, Do I Have To Pay For It Myself?
A: No. Most car insurance policies have what is called “Med Pay.” This means that medical bills will be paid at 100% up to a certain limit. Using your medical coverage should not raise your premiums.
- Q: The Insurance Company Has Been Calling Me And Wants To Settle,What Should I Do?
A: Do not sign or settle until you have had us evaluate your injury for you. If you settle before your injury is fully resolved, you will be completely on your own and will have to pay out of pocket for your care.
- Q: I’ve Been To The Hospital And My Medical Doctor, Do I Really Need to See a Chiropractor?
A: You need a doctor who focuses in the treatment and diagnosis of auto accident injuries. Usually hospitals will check vital signs, make sure there are no life-threatening conditions and release the patient with pain relief medication. They normally do not treat the underlying improper musculoskeletal biomechanics that can and often do lead to future pain. If your doctor has given you pills, you must understand that pills do not correct structural or soft tissue damage.
- Q: Does Your Care Hurt?
A: The care is very gentle and comforting.
- Q: Is The Care Safe?
A: Yes. Particularly when compared to the side effects from medication.